Xerox Mock 6 // Binding of all Mocks

I wanted to get a feel for the publications with a different finish and paper stock, and so made my Mock 6 with a specific selection of pages and a more rigid cover using the Xerox printers at Uni. In doing so I was able to compare the effect of the ink on paper to that of my mock printed with pixartprinting.

The difference in paper was nice to compare, the ‘recycled’ stock used with my ‘Mock 4’ from pixartprinting had a nice smoothness and very subtle flecks. The whiteness of the pages didn’t look quite as organic as the creamy and flecked Biscuit Eco paper I used with the Xerox printed ‘Mock 6’. It did however, solidly hold the ink on each page without it showing through on the reverse side like the Xerox mocks did. The finish on the images was also very different and I much preferred the soft matte of Mock 4. The shine to the Xerox (mock 6) felt too stark and sleek and so did nothing to reflect the subtlety of the INTO_VERDE concept.

When binding my produced mock ups, I began to make realisations on how the papers and number of pages I would include within my finalised publication for graduate shows would need careful consideration if I retained my plan to hand-bind my pages in a traditional japanese stab-bind. The thicker the pages and paper stock, the harder it would be to push the needle through neatly. Although I managed to secure my mock ups with basic supplies of an awl, needle, thread and bulldog clips – I felt I would need better precision for a neater and more professional outcome. Using a screw-punch or drilling the holes I needed through the pages would enable me to make cleaner, larger and straighter holes through the stack of pages, allowing me to better apply the thread without it snagging and being awkward.

I will need to reflect on the paper stock and total number of pages as I continue to make further mocks and use new methods of creating the holes. For example, a rigid cover reduces the flexibility of my book – something that will need a good amount of when binding the small-scale publication. In reflection of this, I’ll need to keep my chosen paper stock to a low gsm and may have to retain the same stock for the cover. If I felt the publication needed more of a ‘cover’, I considered creating a slip or case it could be contained in to protect its contents.

In making my mocks, I was also able to reflect on how well my pages read after being bound. Through handling each mock at slightly different scales, I was able to consider how to adjust spacing of the artwork and stitching to allow for a more readable and better looking page layout. This is something I anticipate in the next stages of generating my final version of INTO_VERDE leading to graduate shows.

File_001 (13).jpeg
Full selection of Mock Ups
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s